Still at the Holiday Inn

Cyclone Donna is for now staying westward, away from Vanuatu. The likelihood of having to evacuate to Australia is decreasing. We're still at the Holiday Inn, where a Coke is $5.00 but a round of golf is free. So Matt and I played the par-3 9-hole course.

Waiting for Cyclone Donna to pass

This was the most fun I've had playing golf. We played barefoot, even though danger grass was everywhere (it has little thorns, but I'm trying to toughen up my feet), it rained the whole time, and in technical golf rating terms, the course ah--well, it was rustic. I'm not a golfer and didn't care. I'm playing golf on a South Pacific island, what's to complain about?

Drai leg (barefoot) golf is the best golf


By the end of 9 holes the weather was getting more Caddyshack

While playing, we found two large coconuts. In spite of our lack of experience, we managed to husk them with a bush knife (machete), carve a hole into each and enjoy coconuts on the beach after a round of golf. One of the staff grated some onto some banana and we ate that too.

Afterward, I retired to a toilet for some sit sit wota (do I really need to translate that? just say it out loud, it is perfectly descriptive), then headed back out for some kayaking. Matt had already left on a sailboat with someone else. I couldn't catch them, so just noodled around the bay for a while and came back. There was still some time until dinner, so I went to the gym. It isn't a big gym, consisting entirely of an elliptical, a treadmill, and a set of dumbbells. Gets the job done.

The best part of dinner was the banana cake. Hm. Seems I've overshot the end of this post already. And...Enter!

Comments

  1. So... fancy resort, golf, kayaking, coconuts on the beach, and kava bars. This Peace Corps thing sounds rough!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cabana Boy Matriculation

Arrival

Back at the Port Vila Holiday Inn